Friday, April 17, 2009

Chem 2 - Front Section Roof

Spontaneously after a class, I decided to figure out how to get on the roof of the main section of the Chem building. For some time I had been annoyed that there seemed to be no way up after checking all the doors in the attic. I realized that there were locked off portions of the attic that had not yet been explored.

In the corner of the attic there is a set of locked double doors with glass window panels (next to an elevator) with the sign that says "ear protection must be worn inside;" turning to the left, one would see another set of double doors with "H.V.A.C." painted on them. Behind these locked doors is this area in the photograph above. In this room there is another door which leads into a section of the attic that I wonder if I am the first to have explored. It's the high voltage area and it eventually leads out onto the higher roof of the front main section of the Chemistry building.



It also leads to this wing of the attic which I have called SkyFloor hall. (I wish I had not taken the pic at an angle because it makes me dizzy to look at now).

I didn't feel comfortable standing on those grates. Below them is a good long drop to the concrete (outside the building) below. It's a cool view though.


Out onto the roof. I couldn't explore to much, of course, since it was still broad daylight. There is a very interesting room up there that you can only access from the roof. In this room there is a heavy metal door on the floor that you can lift up and below it is a very dark metal ladder that descends into utter darkness. I really wanted to know what was down there but I didn't have a light with me unfortunately. I dont have a picture of it either because all I had was my cellphone which has no flash. I will have to go back sometime after finals to check it out.





All the pics are so low because I was basically crawlin around on my belly the whole time due to the high levels of visibility.

That is Gilmore over there.

0 comments: