Thursday, April 23, 2009

Concerning "How to" guides

A few people have asked me to post step by stop processes of how to get places. I've considered it, but have decided against it for a number of reasons. Here are a few:

1) If I state publicly how to get somewhere, not only will UVa students learn, but also UVa faculty learn, which could present a problem if they decide take affirmative action to increase preventive measures and to double the difficulty of accessing such places (which is clearly their right to do). Some explorers will enjoy this added challenge; but on the whole, I do not see it as helpful to the desires and goals of those who engage in urban exploration as a sport or a hobby.

2) While I encourage people to be adventurous in life and to enjoy their lives (don't waste it!), I would not want to provide information to anyone on matters that may cross the line between legal and illegal.

3) I do not know your abilities. I do not encourage people to take extra risks when I do not know them. I know myself and I know the things of which I am capable. But I cannot say this for others.

Happy explorations (whether they be to the supermarket or to the moon). And whether your destination is a mountain top or a rooftop, please leave no trace.

~Sm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what's your email?

Anonymous said...

oh never mind i found it